Sunday, April 1, 2012

Journey to the Stingrey Competition


Tony and I decided that we were going to try to do a body building competition!!! Another thing for us to cross off of our bucket list!! I decided that I wanted to try to do the bikini competition which means you look beach ready, its not about muscle size, it is about overall fitness. Tony decided to do Physique which is also overall fitness and not bulging body builder muscles. We started our diet after my birthday in January and worked our way towards the competition. The following photos are examples of some of our meals. As it got closer to the competition I was cycling my carbs, all of our food was weighed, we both endured a week of fish only, we could eat as many green vegetables as we wanted, our carbs consisted of potatoes, rice, and oatmeal, we learned how to cook egg whites, and learned how to season meat since all sugar was cut out which means any type of sauce wasn't allowed.  This included BBQ sauce, Tony thought he was going to die...... We also figured out you can't tell the difference between ground turkey and ground beef so that saved us once beef went from any time, to once a week, to no more. We learned to like peas, broccoli, green beans, and asparagus. My taste for vegetables increased and Tony still fights it, I think he would prefer to eat peas out of all of the options. Luckily for me I like salad too, yum!!
One of the most interesting things we did was drinking 6 liters of water a day. At first it was really difficult, who drinks that much water!?!?!?!? Once our bodies got used to this we were going to the bathroom just about every hour. We now officially know what each others 'I have to pee' dance looks like. We were miserable for a little while but got used to it.
 Our carbs usually consisted of white rice for me, I think it tastes good. Tony says it has no flavor and he does not like soy sauce so there wasn't much hope for getting him to eat rice.  For a while we were able to eat regular potatoes so that was a good compromise. I usually 'fried' them but in water, not oil, and put different seasonings on them.  As the show got closer we were told the only type of carb we could eat was a sweet potato. Hawaii can be called a strange place because they have no idea what you are talking about when you look for a normal sweet potato.  We were showed the produce aisle and were told our choice was the Okinawan sweet potato, which as you can see is PURPLE! These were interesting to cook. I settled on turning them into a baked potato and let Tony eat them......GROSS.

No comments:

Post a Comment