Tuesday, December 20, 2011
LASIK Eye Surgery
I promise I won't gross you out with all of the details. I honestly can't tell you everything they did because I couldn't see!! We went to the doctors office at 12:30 and started doing the various tests and pre-operation procedures. I was doing just fine until he told me that he needed to mark my eye. I guess I didn't quite understand what he meant until he told me to look straight ahead and he marked my ACTUAL eye with something that very much resembled a fine point sharpie. He then explained the rest of the procedure to me and then left the room to go prep the operating room. I tried really hard not to cry but I was scared and didn't want to do it anymore. Earlier Tony told me if I moved the laser beam would hit me in the face, at that point it was funny but at this point things weren't funny anymore. Tony told me it would be ok and that he would be in there watching the whole time. The doctor explained that they would put two things in my eye to hold it open. They were a little uncomfortable but I got used to it. The other thing that they did that I didn't like to much was something the doctor called a suction cup and he said when he put it on my eyeball that I would black out/lose vision but they would still talk me through everything. This is when they created the flap on my eye so I think it was probably a good thing that I couldn't see. Once the flap was open the laser went into my eye but because the flap was open and my vision was blurred I was just looking at a red blinking light. I felt a little uneasy once the laser was in my eye because they didn't warn me that I would smell anything. I just tried not to think about it. In about 10 mins one eye was complete. At this point I half wished I was a cyclops so I wouldn't have to do it again. Once that thought left my head I was glad I only had one eye left and wasn't a spider because I would have seven left to go!! The whole procedure went pretty quick and actually wasn't that bad. The biggest thing you have to get over is knowing that you will be awake and can 'see' everything as it is happening. I honestly didn't see that much and Tony thought the whole thing was super cool and amazing to watch. He started to tell me about it and I said please don't tell me what they did until we know for sure I do not have to go back and have any corrections made and its going to make me throw up if you tell me. Right now I feel like eye drops rule my life but I'll keep doing it to make sure everything heals like it is supposed to. When I wake up in the mornings sometimes I think I forgot to take my contacts out and at night when my eyes start to get tired I feel like I need to take contacts out. It's amazing to be able to see and I'm still getting used to it. I'm really happy I went through with it and I get to be contact and glasses free for a while!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment