Sunday, October 23, 2011

Splash and Dash Biathlon

On Saturday I did the Splash and Dash Biathlon on the Marine Corps Base in Kaneohe.  It consisted of a 500 meter swim in the bay and was followed by a 5K.  I was definitely wondering what I was thinking when I signed up for this thing while I was swimming.  It was a little harder than I thought it would be but I finished it!!! I think I swam 500 meters in about 13 mins and something seconds.  The only reason I know this is because someone came in behind me and her friend said you finished in 14 mins, which means I was faster than that.  I was nervous about getting into the bay because I think it is also a hammer head shark breeding ground, lets just say I didnt think about that and swam as fast as I could.  We had a water start which means everyone was in the water and then they blew an air horn and everyone started swimming. I chose to be on the end that was the farthest away from the start line because I wasn't going to be swam over by people that do this all the time!! I stayed out of their way. I finished swimming, got out of the water, put my shoes on and started running.  I drank a little bit of salt water and running after wasn't exactly my favorite thing to do.  I also thought we would be running on a flat surface but that wasn't the case either. We ended up running up a really big hill (mountain). 
The bay we swam in
Overall I finished as number 87 with a time of 42 mins and 11 seconds. I think there were about 125 people that did this race and Im happy with where I finished. I have never done one before and it was a challenge. I finished it and now its time to find something else to keep me busy until Tony comes home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment