Monday, February 20, 2012

Great Aloha Run

Our day started with us waking up at 3:00am this morning so we could participate in the Kaiser Permanente Great Aloha Run.  We left our house and drove to the Aloha Stadium and left our car parked there, we arrived at about 3:30am.  It was really cold but there was no point in wearing a sweatshirt, long sleeves, or pants because by the time the race started at 7:00am we wouldn't need it anymore.  We then boarded a bus and rode into town to find the start line.  We sat on the sidewalk along Nimitz Highway to wait for the sun to come up.  Before the race started we were told that 40,000 people signed up for this race, I believe people fly in to participate as well.  There were also 4,000 military troops running in formation, it was nice to run and hear cadences to help make you forget how far you were running.  A howitzer cannon was shot and that was how we knew the race started and we began our run.
The 8.15 mile relatively flat course starts at Aloha Tower in downtown Honolulu, winds its way along the historic harbor, down Nimitz Highway, Kamehameha Highway, and on to Aloha Stadium.
This is the route we took, we started at the green dot and
ran on route 1 to the red dot!!
Tony is faster than me, I know I mentioned this before but just wanted to remind you that his times would be better if he wasn't dragging me along!! Overall I am very proud of how we finished. This was a first for both of us and it is enjoyable for him because he is not running at Marine pace because he follows me. I do NOT run at Marine pace so I am pushed whenever I run with him. Sometimes he taunts me by running backwards in front of me and making me chase him. Payback for this is that he has to drive the car home, have fun with the stick shift!!!
I know it is small and hard to read, it says: Tony Hansen finished in 1,767th place, was 201 in his division which was the male 20-24 age group and finished with a time of 1 hour and 10 mins.
Alicia Hansen finish 1,771, was 70 in her division which was the female 25-29 age group and finished with a time of 1 hour and 10 mins.

 We always finish together!!! WE DID IT!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment