Happy 4th of July!!!! I sent these to Tony last month but they didn't get there yet, I tried. He said that they had mailed delivered three times but twice it was the wrong units mail and they had to send it back. He did get a few boxes though, just not the 4th of July ones. Hopefully they get there soon, I guess its better if they are a little late than to not make it at all. Tony was promoted on the first!!!! I am so proud of him, I know he has worked really hard for that. He was excited when he called to tell me about it. I know this is a good thing for him and he will continue to move forward in his career. I already went to base and bought him new chevrons and have them packaged up and ready to send out!! He didn't even have to ask, Im starting to know my way around and what needs to be done!!! I am also not as lost as I was the first time I walked into the uniform shop, I can now find things on my own instead of walking up to the counter and telling the lady I have no idea what I am looking for and this is what I need. Tony was telling me about his plans of trying to shoot off fireworks over there and he said that he thought he almost had them convinced that it would be a good idea. He made me laugh, he was very thorough in his planning of shooting off some of the things that they had and improvising to have a little fourth of July fun. He tries so hard. Im pretty sure the idea got shut down but ya never know.
Message from Lt. Col. Charney-
Greetings and Happy Independence Day.
May and June are officially behind us and your Marines and Sailors are pushing forward into July in full stride. As the SgtMaj and I travel to observe your Marines and Sailors at our remote locations, we are continually impressed with the dedication and selfless devotion we see each day. It is evident at each location that your loved ones are focused on their duties and how the flawless completion of their tasks contributes to the “big picture” of the overall mission of the US in Afghanistan.
Our battalion is part of the 3d Marine Division when we are home in Kaneohe, and the division has three words on their crest that our Marines and Sailors demonstrate everyday: Fidelity, Honor and Valor.
Fidelity- faithful devotion to duty or to one's obligations or vows; loyalty; faithfulness
Honor- a keen sense of right and wrong; adherence to action or principles considered right; integrity
Valor- marked courage or bravery
Our Marines and Sailors, your loved ones, demonstrate these hallmark traits each and every day in their efforts to provide stability to the people of Afghanistan. In some instances, it is the Marines and Sailors working “shona ba shone” (shoulder to shoulder) with their Afghan counterpart as they train and teach one another about their jobs and their respective cultures. For others, it is our Marines and Sailors making the right choices when facing difficult decisions and taking actions that do not compromise their reputation with the local Afghan people. In other cases, it is our Marines and Sailors facing the very real dangers of duty in a war zone.
Since the founding of our Corps, Marines and Sailors have shaped the strength and resolve of a nation and provided hope for countries around the globe. Our role is as important today as at any time in our nation’s history.
So join me as we celebrate our heritage of freedom and the firm belief that those freedoms need to be preserved and passed on. We appreciate the continued support from friends and families back home. Please stay committed to sending letters and boxes. It may take a few weeks to get here, but the joy it produces upon arrival is worth the wait.
Message from Capt. Lee-
It has been a very busy week for both platoons. Firebase Saenz and FOB Edinburgh have been providing accurate artillery fires for many different units on a consistent basis. As you can see from our pictures, we are taking the fight to the enemy. Although the 4th of July will not be the same here, the Marines are looking forward to the proud history of our freedom. 1stSgt Ellington and I are excited to celebrate the 4th of July with our brothers in arms. Thanks to the battalion, we have a special meal prepared for our Marines. The Marines will be enjoying steak, hotdogs, sodas, dessert and much much more. It humbles me to see our Marines persevere through these austere conditions with the level of motivation, loyalty and endurance that they demonstrate every single day. Can you believe it’s been 2 months since we left the beautiful beaches of Oahu? If you were to see your Marines, you would think that they have been operating here for years. The Marines of Arson Battery give our motto “any clime and place” a completely different meaning. As you reflect on the 4th of July, I ask that you please keep the Marines of Arson Battery and 1/12 in your thoughts and prayers. Semper Fidelis.
Message from 1stLt. Sagerholm-
Congratulations are in order to the newly promoted Sergeant Hansen and Lance Corporals Johnson, Carlson, and Conway. We are proud of them and all their hard work.
Over the last week we have had a steady incoming of mail, allowing your Marines, for the moment at least, to forget they are thousands of miles from loved ones. As you all are aware, mail requires patience, so please try not to get frustrated when you hear he hasn’t received your package yet.
The gym has become the “happening spot” at Fire Base Saenz. It is what truly defines the days here. Some of you may not recognize your Marines when they get home. In between slinging steel downrange and slinging steel in the weight room, the days are starting to fly by for us. All in all, the platoon has become a tight cohesive unit here at Saenz. All your packages are well received and sometimes well needed (Soap, baby wipes, protein, and tobacco products). Those alone will sustain 90% of the Marines here until we leave. The SPAWAR is up and running and there is an iridium satellite phone passed through the sections during the week for them to call home. They are thinking of you every day and are in good hands. I will continue to update you as frequently as possible.
The following are some photos of Alpha Battery in June and what they have been doing while over there. Hope you enjoy!!
![]() |
| Kind of looks like a jumbled mess |
![]() |
| Then they transformed it into what its supposed to look like |
![]() |
| Tony teaching MCMAP |
![]() |
| Hopefully they are learning a lot!! |
![]() |
| The grilling of the famous steaks they got to eat |
![]() |
| One of the exciting things they got to eat. He was so excited he called to tell me all about it! |
Happy 4th of July!!!! Remember, freedom isn't free. It is because of these young men that we enjoy the things that we have and are able to do. Stay safe 1/12 , finish the mission and come home. There are many anxious women and families waiting for your return. I love you Tony, miss you more every day but I know that its one day closer to being with you again.

















No comments:
Post a Comment