Sunday, July 31, 2011

It's A Love Thing

Tony's Promotion
 When I talked to Tony the other day I asked him if he received any more mail yet, he said that there gun is broken so mail hasn't been delivered for a while because they need to get the things they need for their gun. One day all the boxes we send will get there, eventually!! We had a lot of fun talking and goofing off. I'm getting really good at waking up at random times during the night and going back to sleep.  When we were talking he froze all of a sudden and I couldn't figure out what he was doing but I could see that the mouse arrow was on his head and he wasn't moving at all. This, as most of you know is unusual for him because he is constantly moving around. When I asked him what he was doing he smiled and said he was being an airbender and thats why he had to sit still, so he would have the arrow markings on his head. I about died laughing, if you haven't seen the movie then you have no idea what I am talking about. Go see the movie The Last Airbender and you will understand.  He also told me that he was interviewed by a reporter while out there. I said congratulations and that I was happy for him and that he must have been excited.  He replied with ' yeah well I am a big deal over here'! Needless to say he got an eye roll from me and a response of 'whatever', and we were both laughing. Some things never change and I am so thankful that they don't.  I asked him what kinds of things the reporter asked and he said he was interviewed because they have been doing a lot of fire missions and providing support for the other Marines.  He did say that the reporter asked him what he missed the most and I guessed that he said his motorcycle. He told the reporter 'I miss my wife and I want to go home, shower, curl up on the couch with her and watch movies'.  It makes me smile every time I think about it. He misses me!!! I CAN'T WAIT until he is HOOOOOOOME!!!!!!  It makes me feel good that he took the time to be a little sentimental, Marines have a soft side, they just don't want the whole world to know hahaha.  He also gave me a list of things that he needs from base so I will go get the things he requested and get them mailed out to him. Our conversations were all over the place but he did ask me to send more ravioli's. I guess those are a commodity over there. I asked him what he does with all of the things I send him in boxes and he replied that he shares them with everyone. I thought about his answer for a few mins and then asked him what he hides in his tent that he doesn't want to share. He said 'I hide the Mountain Dew, Ravioli's, Noodles, and sometimes the Chips'. Take a second to picture him saying this to me while on skype, he had a very sneaky look on his face, and was very proud that he was hoarding these items inside of his tent.  It's always the simple things that make them the happiest, the things we usually take for granted.
 In this picture he was showing me his Mountain Dew that he was drinking, I didn't send that one, the ones I send are in bottles, not cans. I asked him where he got that one from and he said the mobile PX came through and he got it from them.  He also said that those kinds of items are usually bought really fast because everyone wants them. He also said that they don't taste like the real thing because it is missing 'all of the good stuff like sugar and everything else that is bad for you that Americans like to add to things'. At least he was honest.....? As you can tell, we were constantly laughing and having a good time.
They might be working out like they do in the lumbar jack competitions or Tony is supervising while they put a new wheel on a truck......? I don't know but my guess would be the lumber jack competition, just look at Tony's arms!!!!! If I had to move that thing I think would push it from the side and where ever it rolls is where it goes. Well that is probably enough of my ramblings but as you can tell things are going ok out there, we are three months down, almost half way there!!


Families and friends of Arson Battery,

Since my last update, Arson has been extremely busy firing artillery in support of numerous units.  We are firing almost daily in both positions and have had a significant impact in supporting our brothers in arms.  Busy days, like the ones we have been having these past few weeks, definitely make the time during our deployment pass by faster.  The occasional horseshoe or cornhole game also breaks up the day to day schedule.  Temperatures have risen up to 126 degrees during the day but cool off significantly during the evening.  Mail is routinely received as long as it isn’t delayed for operational necessities.  Due to Arson’s high operational tempo, mail has been delayed a few times but it is starting to flow regularly again.  If you recently sent your Marine mail please be patient as it makes its way to our positions.  Also, please continue to flood your Marines with mail, either with a package or simply a letter.  Every Marine likes to hear his name during mail call.  As we continue to fight through the summer, I ask that you please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers.  Arson on point!      

I would like to personally congratulate our newly promoted Sgt Hansen, Cpl Mccord, Cpl Whittington, Cpl Dye, LCpl Lavergne, LCpl Bates, LCpl Conway, LCpl Johnson, LCpl Carlson, LCpl Potter, LCpl Stebbins, LCpl Fontenot, LCpl Quintard, LCpl Williams, and LCpl Stoeckel for the months of July and August.  Job well done Marines!

We miss you all and thank you so much for supporting our battery and Marines.  More updated pictures to follow soon.

Respectfully,
Capt Rich Lee

Update from FB Saenz (1stLt Sagerholm):

Well, we have reached the 90 day mark for the deployment. Your Marines are doing well and finding ways to pass the time. We have recently installed a horseshoe pit and will be hosting the first ever FB Saenz Horseshoe Tournament. Doc Kelly has already asked if the grand prize was going home early. Sorry doc, no can do.

Cpl Stucky’s gun section recently discovered how important it is to keep their tents zipped during the day. The friendly critters of Afghanistan found their way inside giving a nice surprise to PFC Whitehenderson. They seem to like his gear being as this is not the first for him. The mice around the fire base have met their match with LCpl Hodgson, the leader on confirmed mice KIA. A close runner up is LCpl Gillespie, the leading camel spider widow maker. So don’t be worried when your son or husband comes home and he has a tendency of beating his bed with a stick or throwing his shoes against the wall. This has been our life here at the fire base.

Besides the destruction of pests and critters, the Marines have been using their free time to better themselves. When not lifting weights, many are studying in preparation to take their SATs. Some sections are even giving history classes. Be proud to know that your Marines are planning for their future and setting themselves up for success. Once again I can say that your support back home means more than you know, especially once we pass the 3 month mark. Please continue to support them with your packages, letters, and loving words. Each Marine here is working hard and doing an outstanding job.

Semper Fidelis,
1stLt Sagerholm

No comments:

Post a Comment