Friday, December 31, 2010

Alaska Adventures

We survived Alaska!!!! No broken bones, no car wrecks, no nothin!!!! It was an AWESOME trip. We absolutely loved it. Tony said he would like to have a cabin up there somewhere and go in the winter again, he thought the snowboarding was FANTASTIC. It was a much needed trip and allowed us to get away from almost everything and spend lots of quality time together. We will always remember all the fun things we did and the great pictures we took. Yes a scrapbook will be made of this as well. I have to have something that keeps me busy.

The first thing we did was arrive in Alaska, looking out the windows of the plane made us a little nervous, it was REALLY dark and looked very very very VERY cold. We went through the airport and got our rental car and stepped outside to go get it. The air knocked the wind out of us, it was so cold going into our lungs. We were laughing because we were so cold. I finally managed to get the car started and it told us the outside temperture was......-3 degrees. NO WONDER WE WERE COLD!!!!

We had breakfast at Dennys in Anchorage and asked the nice waitress what time the sun came up. She laughed at us and asked where we were from. We told her Hawaii and she said well the sun wont be up for another couple hours......it was already 8am.......it doesn't come up until 10:00!!!!!  We made the drive to Girdwood and checked into our hotel. After that we decided the best thing to do to occupy our time was to go Cross Country Skiing!! Tony learned really fast the number one rule of skiing, DONT CROSS YOUR SKIS! 
We got a little lost when we were out skiing around but we had plenty of daylight so it was ok. We returned our skiis and found the ice skating pond. It had some snow on it but we decided to try it anyway. Neither of us have ever skated on a real frozen pond so it was a new experience. Sometimes it was a little nerve racking thinking it was possible to fall through it, highly unlikely though when its 5 degrees outside.

2 comments:

  1. I just looked at all your pics. It looks like you had an awesome trip. I am so jealous. Brian and I would love to go sometime. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a must see!!!! I would recommend it. I hear its beautiful in the summer too, might have to go back :) Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete